Saturday, June 16, 2007

My 2nd Century View photo - Siew Mai's furry belly!

Amazing - within 24 hours of putting up this photo, it hit 125 views. Certainly this is the first time it has ever happened to any of my Flickr photos. I admit it is a really cute photo - that tummy really says "RUB ME" but I didn't expect it to get so popular so fast. The spillover effects are limited as the photos just before and after haven't had a significant increase in views. And I must also admit to some slight disappointment that my two most viewed cat photos are not of my own little sweeties....

Anyway, Siew Mai is one of my colleagues' four cats. We met when I went over to my colleague's place for her housewarming party. Unfortunately, the other three cats were scared of all the nasty visitors and were hiding away. Siew Mai and my colleague's dog, Har Kau, are named after dim sum dishes (dim sum are small little Cantonese snack like dishes which are consumed normally for breakfast or lunch or maybe even brunch. A Siew Mai is a little meat dumpling.) Siew Mai, as can be seen, is a very friendly cat, allowing near strangers to rub her belly. I love the way her little paw waves in the air in this photo and although you can't quite see it she does have a happy look on her face. See more Siew Mai photos here.

The cat I really wanted to see is this heroine who survived a fall down thirteen floors. I had read previously online that cats can survive a fall from incredible heights. They can twist their flexible little bodies in the air such that they are able to make use of the air resistance to slow down the rate of descent but need time to do so. Hence, if the height is less than seven floors they don't have time to adjust. My colleague's tabby managed to wriggle through the protective netting at one window and fell. After a 4-hour search, my colleague found her cat on the ground, alive, but with broken limbs. The cat is still going strong today. Sadly, when I visited, she was hiding behind the washing machine the whole time. So no cat to be seen, and no photo.

Nonetheless, all hail to that marvellous animal, the cat!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:45 pm

    Wow, you certainly are on a roll with the cat photos! Well done! And nice new banner, by the way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I tried out a few banners before deciding on this one.

    For info, as of today, 22 Jun 2007, 11.56am Singapore time, or about 1 week after this photo was first put up, Siew Mai's Furry Belly has garnered 215 views.

    ReplyDelete

Starting the Day Right...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...