Saturday, December 22, 2007

Self-Published!

Ok, I admit it. I have jumped on the self-publishing bandwagon. It started off innocuously enough, with photobooks based on my travels to the US and Mexico. This was done using QOOP, an on-line publishing dot.com which is linked to Flickr. QOOP also provides for blog publishing - only not from Blogger. I was disappointed...

Then I discovered Blurb. Blurb is another on-line publisher and it allows printing from Blogger! All I had to do was download the software, and "slurp" my blog into the book. So I tried it out. In practice, it was more difficult than I anticipated. The software is reasonably easy to use but this version is in the beta stage and so it crashes frequently - extremely irritating ! Nonetheless one persevered...

The blog book took some time to do. I added photos, formatted pages, inserted an extra entry (which I never got around to doing the last time). Changed the font size, page by page (now you know why it is not the most user-friendly piece of software).

So I decided to switch course and did a short little book of cat poems and photos. This had the added advantage of letting me try out the Blurb service without incurring the higher costs of my blog book. My cat book is primarily a photo book with little poems (called "catteral") thrown in because I wanted to talk about the cats. Sent it off and about a month later - voila! It appeared on my doorstep, thus:










Need I say I am enraptured by my own creative product? Blurb promises "bookshop standard" printing, and I agree that it delivers. Forgotten were all the irritations, the times when the font size would not change, the times when the desired page format was not available...

I printed two copies of the book, one for myself and one for an appreciative reader. Well, my mother is not really an appreciative reader (she does not think much of the poems) but she rather likes the photos of our little darlings and she took it immediately. The total cost of printing and publishing: about US$40 or about US$20 per book. Pretty expensive, but this is (as my mother likes to say) a very limited edition!

I have since finished my blog book (whilst waiting for "Catteral" to arrive) and sent it off for printing; on the computer now is my travel journal for Siem Reap. With 2 books under my belt, I am now becoming more adventurous in terms of layout and colour schemes. And definitely there will be one other interested reader for this book!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:08 pm

    When can I buy your book from Amazon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations on your first blurb book! It actually looks pretty good. I missed seeing it that party so I'm going to have to see it next time I'm at your place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. update: blog book has arrived, looks pretty professional if i do say so myself. Siam Reap travel book has been despatched to the printers.

    ReplyDelete

Starting the Day Right...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...