Sunday, February 17, 2008

Poetry Exercise No. 3

The assignment: to write 5 pairs of iambic pentameter in blank verse about 5 assigned subjects, with the first line of each pair end-stopped.

Thereafter, to repeat the exercise but including two caesura (stops in the line) and one enjambment (carrying on to the next line) in the pair.

Subject 1: What you see and hear outside your window.

I hear the traffic come and go outside
The fast cars put my cats in danger too


I hear the cars go rushing past, and hope
The cats are safe; and resting in their beds.

Subject 2: What you want to eat, right this minute.

Pineapple tart ice cream is what I want
Its sitting in the freezer tempting me

Too many calories! Pineapple tart
Ice cream tastes so good - but no seconds, please!

Subject 3: What you last remember dreaming about

I can't recall what I dreamed of last night
But in my dreams I learnt to fly away

What did I dream about? I don't recall
But in my dreams I fly, I glide and soar.

Subject 4: What uncompleted chores are niggling at you

The buttons on my clothes keep falling off
I have to find the time to sew them on

My skirt's too tight. Each time my buttons fall
I sew them on - or buy a brand new skirt.

Subject 5: What I hate about my body

The bunions on my feet are sticking out
They make it tough for me to buy nice shoes


Not these shoes, and not heels - my bunions stick
Out from the sides. Those simple ones will do.

Done. And harder than the last time.

1 comment:

  1. I liked this exercise a lot especially the little couplets about home and body etc. It's all a lot more domestic and girl stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Starting the Day Right...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...