Friday, March 21, 2008

Poetry Exercise No. 11: Rhyme Royal

Rhyme Royal is a seven-line verse in iambic pentameter, with a rhyming scheme ABABBCC. Surprisingly, I found this rather difficult. Perhaps because after the last few exercises, I’m no longer used to the rhythm of iambic feet. I started off writing something about Orlando jumping around in the house, but it kept on coming out in anapaestic feet instead. In the end, I had to change tack. So after many false starts, here is my verse:

The garden plants grow greenly in the sun
The smell of coffee fills the morning air
No work to do or errands he must run
A cat sits on the cushion on the chair
He sits and thinks, “Ah yes! The day is fair!”
With nothing else to do but sit and chat,
Life is so easy when you are a cat!

After spending so much time on this, I've decided to leave Ottava Rima to another day.

1 comment:

  1. hey the orlando poem in anapaestic feet sounds interesting...you should follow that thread.

    ReplyDelete

Starting the Day Right...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...