Monday, March 03, 2008

Poetry Exercise No. 7 : Accentual-Alliterative Verse

Ok, so what is that? Iambic pentameter (and its friends) represent the world of "accentual-syllabic" verse. "Accentual-alliterative" verse is from ye olde Anglo-Saxon poetry tradition, where the accents fall on alliterated words, save for the last. Fry calls this "Bang Bang Bang Crash". The exercise is to write about 18-20 lines (I ended up with 16) on the subject of what you want to eat/don't want to eat, right this minute. I had just finished dinner when I started on this, so the poem is really about the happy days in the Residence Inn dining area eating uncooked veggies and salsa and tacos for dinner.

Of my favourite foods I fantasise when overseas
Of chilli crab, and chicken rice I dream
Memories of mee siam cause me to drool
And longing for laksa leaves me weak.

Of nonya nosh I’ll never get too much of
A bit of sambal belacan on the side
I’d love to have loads of lemak gravy too
The rich rempah in it really is a treat.

No boiled brussel sprouts or broccoli for dinner
No burnt bacon, cold bangers, or mash
No undercooked hor d’ouevres which don’t excite me
And throw out the tough and stringy meat

Oh, when I want a wantan or roti prata
Or pine for prawn paste chicken (har cheong kai)
I find these delicious dishes don’t come by easy

Outside the sunny shores of Singapore.

1 comment:

  1. Yah, that makes me drool for local food too...i'm sure this poem strikes a chord with John.

    ReplyDelete

Starting the Day Right...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...