Sunday, September 10, 2006

Shopping

I suppose it is time to post on a topic which has certainly taken up a lot of my time and energy.

I didn’t really do much shopping in New York. First, I was conscious that I would need to lug my suitcase to Boston, and second, I wanted to be able to compare the offerings in the 2 cities. But there were many moments of regret at Macy’s especially as it was having a sale with 20%, 40% discounts. Macy's is gigantic - two large buildings covering a whole block - and confusing , but I was able to find the floor full of “petite” clothing. Fortunately, the one suit I tried on didn't quite fit. Century 21 offered very good prices but I found the display of merchandise more confusing and the range was of course more limited than in Macy’s. On the high end, Henri Bendel’s is a lovely shop – the Lalique glass windows are beautiful, the displays are really very attractive and the prices are out of reach! I went also to Bleecker Street whilst in Greenwich Village. It is a charming street with some craft-y shops (and a nice little bookshop, Biography Books) but also some designer outlets, such as Ralph Lauren, Intermix.

Here in Boston, I must admit that I’ve been somewhat focussed on one particular shop. The first time I went to Filene’s Basement, was half an hour before closing time. I didn’t even get round to locating Basement 2. The second time, I went with 3 males and so it ended up as a recce trip. I believe they spent more than I did J . The third time, I had a nice time and bought 3 tops, 1 jacket, a pair of shoes and a bag. The range is excellent, and I get a little thrill out of calculating how much of a discount I can get.

I went around to the other shops in Harvard Square– Harvard Coop, Crate and Barrel, Ann Taylor etc. There are some shops selling quite cute little knickknacks as well, but these are pretty pricey. Around Downtown Crossing (other than Filene's) there's a pretty big Borders. I was struck by the large offering of Manga (see picture). Reverse cultural flows going on?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Starting the Day Right...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...