Monday, January 08, 2007

Back to Work

Well, it is the New Year and I am back at work. Not that it is that taxing or strenuous, it is a temporary job before I start my permanent appointment. But I started off the week feeling a little ill - nothing much, just a bad throat which has now graduated into a slight cough and the feeling of being drained and tired. That shall be my excuse for not keeping up with the discipline of blogging which I boasted about on New Year's Day.

On Thursday, I went back to the School to say hello and welcome to the next batch of incoming students. I say 'back' but they have now shifted to the new campus in Bukit Timah. It is really a peaceful and quiet place. Of course I could say that of the former school building but these beautiful old buildings exude a certain grace, serenity and charm. The white buildings, the green quadrangles and the spanking new interiors just make it the perfect place to study and reflect.

Of course a lot of work still needs to be done. There is a considerable amount of renovation work going around the place. I wonder whether it will be finished when classes start next week. The offices in the administration building still have the plastic covering on all the chairs, and boxes are still being unpacked all over the place. And the grass in the quadrangles still looks somewhat newly planted. It will take time to grow and take root in these new premises. As will the school.

I told the new students that they were fortunate to have a year's break, and that us outgoing students were now a depressed bunch as we were starting work. More to the point, to remember that anything negative which had been added to the curriculum was the fault of the preceding batches and not us. Whilst anything positive, was, of course, due to our great feedback :-)

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way about that campus as you: the colonial era or just post colonial era buildings built in the days before airconditioning had a peace and calm about them that is largely absent in modern city architecture. Space and time are the ultimate luxuries in 21st century Singapore but these luxuries were plentiful in those days.

    ReplyDelete

Starting the Day Right...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...