Thursday, May 24, 2007

Writer's Block

I admit I have not been posting too much on this blog in recent days. But my writer's block refers not to the lack of posts. Rather, it refers to my sheer inability to get out the first paragraph of the chapter I'm writing for a book. So picture me, sitting here, next to my window with its pleasant view of a green quadrangle surrounded by white colonial buildings. A tall, lofty old tree casts its cool shadow over one corner of the quadrangle. Its branches sway in the breeze. Every now and then a bird calls. It is very pleasant, yes, but unfortunately it does not provide sufficient inspiration for me to break the block.

So, I thought I would turn to this blog because the only way to cure writer's block is to write.... anything! Is it working? Perhaps if I continue a little more...

I met a former colleague yesterday and she disclosed that she too has started a blog! Of course, she is still filled with the enthusiasm of a new blogger and is posting regularly (unlike yours truly). But it was pleasant to swap anecdotes of our blogging experience and stories of other people we know who blog. I think we were both startled to find out about the other's guilty little secret... but why should it be a guilty secret? Alas, in our case it is probably because of the prevailing work culture in our organisation. Time should be spent working and not reflecting, on "productive pursuits" instead of sitting, watching the world go by and writing about it.

Sigh. With that, it is probably about time to return to my chapter. Am not sure whether the block will re-emerge once again, but one must make the attempt....

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:04 am

    Good luck with overcoming the block! I know how it feels like so hang in there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh what fun, you're writing a whole book on what please? Although you probably can't say on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am contributing one chapter to a book. Definitely not writing a whole book!

    ReplyDelete

Starting the Day Right...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...