Friday, July 06, 2007

What a phone contact list can tell you

I lost my mobile phone yesterday. Suffice to say that it was a painful experience and am not in the mood for talking about it.

So instead of my K750i, my happy camera phone friend, I am carrying my old Nokia which may have been all the rage once upon a time but is now sadly antiquated compared to all the new generation phones on the market. And of course, it has no camera!

This phone is actually a spare phone which my family members borrow from time to time. One person who borrowed it for a few months is an aunt of mine who lives in Canada and comes back for a month or two every year. She buys a hi-card, inserts it in the phone and that's it! So her phone no.s are now stored in the phone memory.

I am in the process of re-creating my contact book on this new SIM card. So I opened up the contacts list expecting to see at least a few of my old entries. The list has been completely transformed. After the names of her sisters (my other aunts), the list of contacts contains the following:

Big Sweep
Big Sweep
4D (Sat)
4D (Sun)
4D (Wed)
Horseracing
Sports
TOTO
My Star Sign

I was curious about the last as it was not clear how it added value to the overall contact list. So I called the number indicated - it's one of those *Send numbers which you call to get information, etc. My Star Sign follows the Chinese zodiac. It offers 3 options to those who are willing to pay $0.32 for the privilege:

1. My Lucky Pix
2. My Love Match
3. My daily horoscope.

The mystery at once became clear.

Sigh. Am just wondering what the person in whose hands my phone has fallen is making out of my contact list.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:42 am

    Well, because of the ridiculous price plans, or tariffs, as they call them here in the UK, I ended up with a Nokia 2610, which has no camera, no buttons to adjust the volume (you have to go down 2 levels in a menu), has extremely dim backlighting, and can only be used with a T-Mobile SIM card. This is the sort of camera that would come in extremely useful for in-camp training though --- no camera.

    ReplyDelete

Starting the Day Right...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...