Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Donut know what the fuss is about

Ok, that's a terrible pun, but honestly, I'm not sure that I would queue for hours for this!

The latest food craze (post-bubble tea, post-rotiboys) in Singapore is donuts. The shop that started it all, Donut Factory opened its first branch in Raffles City some time back. I didn't know it existed until I went there for dinner one evening and upon going home (around 9+pm) I was rather surprised to see a queue in front of one small little donut shop. A few days after I heard about this apparently superduper donut shop which had such phenomenal queues everyday, even worse than Lim Chee Guan bak kwa (where the queues are largely confined to the CNY period). It has since opened two more branches in Suntec and Novena Square.

I must admit I am no donut fan. And the idea of queueing for more than 15 minutes for an optional carb is not really appealing to me. But today, I happened to be in Suntec City and realised that the second, short (5 pax) queue was for people who wanted "up to 2 donuts". So I decided to give it a try and after waiting about 5 minutes, purchased the Mint Dark Chocolate and the Apple Cinnamon donuts. The chocolate was still very liquid, so the donut had been freshly made (good) but it rubbed off on the sides of the paper bag I was slinging it around in.
So I got home and we had the donuts for dessert after dinner. The dough was nice - soft, very light and fluffy. So it is really very easy to eat. The toppings were a little on the sweet side (specifically the apple cinnamon) but likely, not as sweet as the jammy ones.

On the whole, these are nice tasty donuts but I would not queue for hours for them. Value my time too much. But definitely, if the queue for "up to 2 donuts" is short, I will quite happily get in line. After all I would like to try the coffee and roasted almond donut too.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:48 am

    I just bought a bunch from Batam from J.Co Coffee and Donuts while there on another mission. I have to say those guys have their production line down pat so although the queue was long, it was moving very rapidly and the real hold up was at the cashier were there was a back up of about 3-4 customers waiting to pay.

    I found the doughnuts yummy and a nice treat but again, like you, would not queue in earnest for them.

    S.

    ReplyDelete

Starting the Day Right...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...