Sunday, September 23, 2007

Mid-Autumn lanterns


The mid-Autumn festival was a time when I wandered around my grandparents' place, lantern in hand. The coloured cellophane paper may have been a fire hazard but I was a very careful little child and the worst that ever happened was that the candle blew out. But they were beautiful, these lanterns, with jewel-like shades of ruby, emerald, and sapphire glowing in the dark. My mother was probably not too happy with their collecting dust after that and of course they never remained intact till the next festival so she had to buy another, but of course these things never bothered me.
The traditional lanterns I used to carry are probably still sold somewhere. But I fear they have been mostly supplanted with these modern lanterns. I took this photo in a shop in Geylang. Probably sturdier and will be able to last longer, also no fire hazard because there is no candle (replaced by a small light bulb). But a little bit of the mystique and magic of the moon festival is gone as a result.

1 comment:

  1. They do still have the traditional lanterns in the Holland Village area. want one ;)? yeah, such nostalgia, i sure feel it too but am totally mooncaked out since having pigged out last two years. This year I hardly ate any.

    ReplyDelete

Starting the Day Right...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...