Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Architectural Reflections

The other good thing about long weekends spent in Boston is that I have time to bring my blog up to date. Yesterday, I went to mass at St Francis' in Prudential Tower, and thereafter walked around Boylston and Newbury Streets, and Copley Square.

Copley Square is the site of Trinity Church, the John Hancock building and the Boston Public Library - three distinctive pieces of architecture. Here I portray two of the three:


It costs US$5 to tour Trinity church so I didn't go in. I have never paid any admission charge to enter a church thus far and I'm not starting now. It has always been on the basis of voluntary contributions. It also strikes me as rather, ahem, electic in design. But I love the way John Hancock building reflects all the buildings around it.

Boston Public Library is made up of two buildings. The original building is classical renaissance in design and the second, a modern reflection of the old:

There is a free public tour on the BPL's art and architecture, which I went on. What a contrast to Trinity Church's exhorbitant charge for a "self-guided" tour.

What I found fascinating about the Boston Public Library was the considerable European influences - the selection of the classical renaissance style, the murals within reflecting European traditions and culture. One of the three mural series was done by a French artist and a second was the story of Sir Galahad! The third was by John Singer Sargent but I much, much prefer his Parisian paintings to the rather dour "triumph of religion" mural series in the BPL.

I walked down Newbury Street after Copley Square. This has to be one of the more charming shopping areas I've been too. Small little boutiques line the street. Shops are either half a floor up, or half a floor down (down to the basement of the building). There are many restaurants and cafes along the road and their clientele were spilling out on the pavement to enjoy the sunshine of what was really a lovely day.

And here's the photo link!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:20 am

    Casey says:
    Lovely architecture. Yes, I remember Paul Revere's house. Looks exactly the same as when I saw it 15 years ago.

    ReplyDelete

Starting the Day Right...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...