Sunday, October 15, 2006

Viva Italia (Part 2)

Today I did the Freedom Trail (which I will talk about more in my next post). We ended at Paul Revere's House and the Old North Church, which was also in the North End, on either side of the street we had dinner at last night. It was nice to see the North End in daylight, for the very first time. So here is the "Connah Store" - for viewing pleasure.

We also did what we left out yesterday, which was go to "Mike's Pastry" to eat 'cannoli's, which are cream/mousse filled tubes which can be chocolate coated or dipped or just plain. I've never seen cannolis before in Italy so it is either a south Italian pastry, or I did not go to enough pastry shops in Italy. Suffice to say that they are very rich and gooey and sinful. It was good on the first bite but I got a little "jelak" about two-thirds of the way through. We also had the best coffee - a cappuccino - that I have had in the US. Foamy milk-topped coffee, with cinnamon, nutmeg and cocoa sprinkled on top with a sugar-tipped stirrer. Bellissima!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:36 pm

    Mike's kicks ass!

    You should watch the movie National Treasure even if you have watched it before. It features some of the historical buildings in Boston, New York and Philadelphia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum...I'm drooling over the canolli and the cappucino. I like the north end. It has a gritty feel to it. And I really liked visiting the Paul Revere House. The woman who showed us around that day told us about how the Revere bell ended up in Singapore. It was an interesting tale of a headstrong and rather spoiled young woman demanding a family bell for her wedding. She never paid for it although I think the brother tried to get her to.

    I've never unfortunately been to Mike's Pastries. I did manage to get to an old sailor's cafe that time though. He was really an old crusty seaman but his coffee and cinnamon toast were very good. It had the kind of feel of being real although it would have the odd tourist like me and my local friend pop in for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete

Starting the Day Right...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...