Saturday, October 07, 2006

NIAGARA FALLS!

The next day (1 Oct) we went off to the Cave of the Winds (where we got into touching distance of the falls) and rode on the Maid of the Mist to the Horseshoe Falls.

There are three falls altogether: two in the US - the American Falls and the Bride Veil Falls and one in Canada - the Canadian or Horseshoe Falls. The Horseshoe Falls are the most spectacular of the three. Apparently a greater volume of water is flowing over the Horseshoe Falls than over the other two, hence a more rapid erosion of the falls there.

We went first to the Cave of the Winds, where we were given little beach slippers and also a raincoat. We then walked down to the bottom of the Bride Veil Falls to see the Falls at pretty close range. This was quite exciting as the falls sort of spray you as you walk around the area. What I didn't dare do, however, was climb out to a platform about a third of the way up the falls. I did start up the stairs and then there was a sudden gust of wind which hit my face and my legs (including the bottom of my rolled up pants) so I beat a hasty retreat.

But, what was truly exhilerating was our ride on the Maid of the Mist to the Horseshoe Falls.

Frankly, it is difficult to see much of the Horseshoe Falls. The most active area is shrouded in mist and so you only see one of the ends more clearly. Nonetheless, it is spectacular - the water falling all around us, the roar of the water as it falls, the cold of the spray and mist around us. I must admit however I carefully tied my blue martian raincoat around my face and turned my face away from the mist and the spray of water when the wind inconsiderately blew it towards us.


After the MotM, we went up to the observation deck for a good view of the falls. The bridge between US and Canada was on our right and I could see why it was called the "Rainbow Bridge" because there was one just in front of us.

Oh yes, I forgot to add. We met one chap from the Masters in Public Policy (MPP) Prog in the School at Niagara Falls! He was doing a term in Columbia (this is part of the School's exchange programme with Columbia) and he chose to visit Niagara that weekend too. Talk about coincidence.

We left the Falls soon after and went back to Boston. But this trip has truly been the highlight of my US trip thus far. It really brought me face to face with what must be one of the wonders of the natural world. A moment to remember indeed.

See here for more Niagara (and Thousand Island) photos, the Multiply link on the left will bring you to my videos of Niagara (and other videos too).

2 comments:

  1. Reminds of this Hitchcock movie set there where there was this chase around those steps. I wouldn't really want to be running from someone there on those slippery steps with the wind gusting. But for a sightseeing trip it sure sounded spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:44 pm

    I like the first shot with the steps. looks like something from Helm's Deep.

    ReplyDelete

Starting the Day Right...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...